New custom house with brick
New white custom infill house

Infill Zoning Edmonton: What You Need to Know About RF1 Zoning

New home builders need to know many things about infill zoning laws in Edmonton, including the construction and permitting processes. If you are considering building a home in Edmonton, it’s critical to understand RF1 Zoning laws.

There are certain things builders can do under RF1 Zoning in Edmonton. RF1 Zoning, also known as Single-Detached Residential Zoning, is a residential land designation that only permits builders to build homes with single families.

While RF1 Zoning strictly permits only single-detached homes, it also allows for other forms of housing – including semi-detached housing, duplexes, garden suites, and secondary suites.

Secondary suites and garden suites can include basements, garages, and backyards.

Duplex vs. Semi-Detached Homes

Duplex and semi-detached homes each contain two dwelling units. Duplexes have dwelling units on top of each other, while semi-detached units have side-by-side or front-to-back dwellings.

RF1 zoning regulates the minimum size of a lot and the maximum size of the building in the lot. A lot with one single-detached home must be a minimum of 7.5 meters wide (or 25 feet)

  • Duplex: the lot must be a minimum of 10 meters wide, 30 meters long, and a minimum of 300 square meters 
  • Semi-detached: the lot must be a minimum of 14.7 meters wide, 30 meters long, and 488.4 square meters.
  • Side-by-side semi-detached house: the lot must be a minimum of 14.8 meters wide, 30 meters long, and 488.4 square meters.
  • Front-to-back semi-detached house: the lot must be a minimum of 12 meters wide, 30 meters long, and 488.4 square meters

RF1 Zoning: Building Sizes

Whether a home is a semi-detached home, duplex, or single-detached home, the home’s size must follow three regulations:

  • Lot coverage
  • Building height
  • Distance from building to property lines (setbacks). 

Some other things you should know about RF1 zoning include:

Driveways and garages must be in the back of the home.

  • You may build secondary suites (basement suites) and garden suites (located in the backyard or garage) in the RF1 zone if you have a single-detached home.
  • Duplex and semi-detached homes can have a secondary suite but not a garden suite.

There’s a lot to understand regarding infill zoning laws in Edmonton. If you’re considering building a new home in Edmonton, the experts at Timber Haus can help you understand everything there is to know about infill zoning. 

Timber Haus is a Custom House Builder You Can Trust

Building a home is challenging without the right custom home builder. Our team of award-winning Edmonton home designers can help you build your dream home. We provide our clients with a trusted and reliable level of service. We can design an energy-efficient home that fits your needs and lifestyle.

We will work with you every step of the way to build the home of your dreams.

Contact us today. We build homes we would be proud to live in ourselves. So let’s talk about your dream.

Did you enjoy this article? Here are three more just for you: